|The pieces so far.|
-1/4" Hardboard (I used 2 2'x2' sheets for this and some other things)
-approximately 18 feet of 11/16" rounded moulding
-wood filler (could be replaced with glue and sawdust)
-Matte grey spray paint primer
I chose to use 1/4" hardboard as I thought it would be less likely to warp than thinner 1/8" hardboard. The moulding is the stuff used as baseboards in houses or between the walls and ceiling. I chose the 11/16" rounded ones as I thought they would be stronger than some of the thinner ones and would look alright painted up. Use whatever shape and size of these that pleases you most. You can find them at any hardware or home improvement store. Total cost for the materials used was about $20.
-various drill bits
-various grits of sandpaper
I had access to power tools, which sped up this project considerably. All of this could be done with a handsaw and a mitre box as well. Important note: If you are under 18 or unfamiliar with power tools, please get someone to help guide you. Table saws are dangerous.
I was visiting my parents' house a few weeks ago and decided to really get this project started as I had access to their power tools. I started by laying out the approximate pieces I wanted. I decided to make the canal 4.25" wide, including the sides and to do each length in 6" increments.
I started by setting the table saw to 4.25" wide and carefully cut the hardboard into 4.25" wide strips. I then used the mitre saw to cut these strips into 12" and 6" lengths as needed. I also cut a 6" wide strip and used a handsaw to cut out the corners to create a corner that is 6" in each direction.
I then used the mitre saw to cut the moulding to fit each piece. For long straight pieces I simply made a 90 degree cut to the correct length for each piece. I then set the mitre saw to cut 45 degree angles in both directions and carefully cut the moulding to create the 90 degree corners where needed for corners. I set it up so the rounded side of the moulding is always facing out. Be sure to carefully check each piece when cutting as it can be confusing with the rounded sides and the mitre cuts (I made lots of cuts in the wrong directions).
|Here you can see some of the different shapes I made. The filler shows where the 45 degree mitre joints are.|
|The screw at the top right is to close to the edge. The moulding split and the edge of the hardboard broke down a bit. The bottom right screw is much better. I used a sanding block to remove the excess hardboard around the screws.|
|You can see where I used wood filler to fix the messy mitre joint.|
Once this was complete I brushed off the dust and spray painted them outside using a matte grey primer.
|The set so far. You can see that the different pieces allow for a lot of different options. This is more than I will ever use at once on my 4' x 4' skirmish table.|
-4 12" straight sections (1 with bridge)
-1 12" section with intersection
-3 6" 90 degree corners
-2 6" straight sections